Thaumaturgike, is that Art Mathematicall, which giueth certaine order to make straunge workes, of the sense to be perceiued, and of men greatly to be wondred at. // John Dee
I am a digital and electronic occultist and magician-computer interaction designer, which just means I do much the same sort of thing as digital or electronic artists but primarily for reasons of magic and occultism rather than aesthetic ones. My interests include: magical objects and materia/media/machina magica; ritual as interaction and experience design; semiotics of magic and ritual; Sørensen’s cognitive theory of magic; sorcery, necromancy, witchcraft, and alchemy from antiquity to the future; psionics and radionics; data and information visualization and infographic arts (“making the invisible visible”); cybernetics and systems theory; robotics; new media art; maker culture.
I have three main areas of research and development:
- The combination of magical arts or the Art Magical with computer, digital, electronic, and new media arts. This is where most of my “technomancy,” “robomancy,” &c. stuff comes from.
- Applied conceptual blending as a means of generating novel designs in ritual magic especially involving computer/digital/electronic/new-media technology. In this I am assisted by the works of Gilles Fauconnier and Mark Turner, Jesper Sørensen, and Manuel Imaz and David Benyon.
- The computation of magical thinking, in which I have been assisted by George Pólya’s and Edwin Thompson Jaynes’s works on plausible reasoning.
Current and Upcoming Projects
- Technomancy 101 — Advanced Cybermagic for Beginners
- Robomancy.com — Ars Robomantica
- ModPsi.com — Modular Psionics