Joshua Madara is a digital and electronic occultist* and magician-computer interaction designer living in Seattle, Washington. His interests include the intersection of art, magic, and technology; magical objects and materia (and media) magica; ritual as interaction and experience design; semiotics of magic and ritual; Sørensen’s cognitive theory of magic; sorcery, necromancy, and witchcraft from antiquity to the modern period; alchemy; psionics and radionics; cybernetics; robotics; new media art; maker culture; and describing himself in the third person.
* Which just means I do much the same sort of thing as digital or electronic artists, but for primarily reasons of magic and occultism rather than aesthetic ones. However, for many social or practical purposes artist is a suitable label, and indeed magic has a long history of association with art and craft.
Current and Upcoming Projects
- Oneirodyne Systems — magician-computer/machine interaction design
- Eldritech.com — Eldritch Technologies
- Robomancy.com — Ars Robomantica
- ModPsi.com — Modular Psionics
Many of my works are exhibited privately, and several of the items displayed in my portfolio are sketches from the development of those projects. I also feature many sketches and minor works on my Facebook page.
- Sep 2007 “Re/Considering the Cybernetic Model of Magic” (presentation, Ekstasis! conference)
- Jul 2008 “Of Magic and Machine” (article, Patterns: The American Society for Cybernetics Newsletter)
- Jul 2009 “Cybernetics for Transumanists” (presentation, Seattle h+)
- Mar 2009 “Miracles of Autonomy: Cybernetic Perspectives on Paratheatrical Ritual” (presentation, Cybernetics – Talk – Dance – Anticommunication conference of the American Society for Cybernetics)
- Jul 2010 “The Cybernetics of Cyborgs” (presentation, CyborgCamp Seattle)
- Nov 2010 “Beginning Interactive Multimedia for Ritual Magic” (online class, Arcanorium College)
- Jun 2011 “Build Your Own 3D Sigil Generator” (online class, Arcanorium College)
- Sep 2011 “Electronomicon” (installation, Esoteric Book Conference)
- Sep 2011 “Automagica Theoretica” (online class, Arcanorium College)
- Sep 2013 “Interactive Media for Occult Book Makers” (presentation, Esoteric Book Conference)